Christ Church Greyfriars, also known as Christ Church Newgate, was an Anglican church located on Newgate Street. The church was destroyed in the Second World War.
December 29, 1940, was one of the war's fiercest air raids on London. A total of eight Wren churches were set on fire. A firebomb struck the roof of Christ Church and tore into the nave. The roof and vaulting collapsed; the tower and four main walls, made of stone, remained standing but were smoke-scarred and gravely weakened. A photograph taken in the light of the following day shows two firemen hosing down smouldering rubble in the body of the church.
The only fitting known to have been saved was the cover of the finely carved wooden font, rescued by an unknown postman who ran inside as the flames raged.
The ruins are now a public garden.